CategoriesGeneralHenning is learning Blender 2.8!Reply To: Henning is learning Blender 2.8!

marcclintdion
Artist

Hey thanks for the recommendation on hide and unhide Instead of isolate and Ill watch the UV video later but from what I read it sounds a lot better then what I was doing.

The issue with hiding all non-selected pieces is that the un-hide operation is very inefficient in large scenes for some reason.  It behaves like ‘Undo’ and you’ll regret using it if you are working on something complex.

“Isolate” which is properly called ‘Local View’ (/) doesn’t have that issue, it’s still responsive when things get difficult.

BTW.  Most tool operations will show up as part of a running list in the Info Window.  This is invaluable for scripting macros and just for talking to developers about problems with Blender because it gives you the exact tool name as it is in the Python code.  If you click one of the entries, it should turn blue and now you can use Ctrl+C to copy it to the operating system clipboard.

Screenshot (326)

(Coincidentally, ‘Local View’ is the 1st tool I’ve encountered that doesn’t show up in the info list.  Definitely a bug, almost everything should show up there)

Fun fact, did you know that you don’t need to click and select most value fields in Blender.  You can just hover the mouse cursor and press ‘ctrl+c’ to copy the value to the clipboard.  Now you can hover over another area and use ‘ctrl+v’ to paste the value, again without actually having to click and select anything.

It even works for vectors like color values.  I’ll now make a video where I hover-copy from a Blender node and then paste it here.  😉  ->  [0.002309, 0.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000]   https://vimeo.com/352407338

You can also copy and paste models from one running instance of Blender to another and everything associated with the model like rigging and material nodes will all go along for the ride.  This is useful for isolating a scene component if you want to save just that one piece to it’s own file.  It’s great for bringing models from a different scene into the one you are working on without having to navigate menus and look for things you forgot to name properly.  Just load the blend file, then copy and paste the model over to where you want it.  I recently copied a model from 2.8 to a version of 2.79 from 2 years ago so I could run an old addon that stopped working a long time ago, then I copied and pasted it back into the recent version of Blender I’ve been using.  I always copy and paste models that I’m texture baking over to an empty scene so I don’t make a mess of the scene I’m working on by littering it with intermediary files.  Then once the baking is done, I delete the model from the original scene and copy over the newly baked one.