CategoriesGeneralWhy isnt Blender industry standard yet?Reply To: Why isnt Blender industry standard yet?

henning
Wizard @ FlippedNormals
OP

Thanks for the great discussion! It’s awesome to see a good and balanced talk around this and not just how Blender will never replace Maya – or how it will replace it tomorrow. These are the two opinions I see the most.

Bvz, you raise an excellent point here – Once the studios really starts to use it, they will develop tech for themselves, which hopefully will end up back in Blender, like Cryptomattes. The more production features you have, the more likely it is that other studios will integrate it.

No bigger studio will ever do a full switch from what they are using to Blender overnight, but what could (and is) happen, is that individual artists start using it, and slowly but surely it takes over from Maya. The most obvious areas here is really modeling, as that’s the area which is most outside of an established pipeline. I can also see that previz starts to be done in Blender with Eevee. The fact that you have a video editor, comp, rigging, animation etc – all in one package is a huge win for previz!

I also dont think Blender 2.8o is more of less difficult to learn than Maya. I’ve heard some people claim that Blender is better because it’s easier to learn, which isn’t true in the slightest.