CategoriesGeneralHenning is learning Blender 2.8!Reply To: Henning is learning Blender 2.8!

PastyPict
Artist

I’m excited that you have started looking into Blender. I’m so pleased that Blender is getting some much deserved attention now.

I will say I find it interesting that you dislike the UV mapping. I remember hearing that’s what made it popular in the first place, and I’ve personally always found it easier and more efficient for me to get good UVs in Blender, but maybe that’s just me. Though, I imagine more tools for more control can only be a good thing, so I’m definitely not gonna complain if they accommodate for other artists’ desired tool set.
I think the devs are also planning UDIM support in 2.81 or 2.82.

I could be mistaken, but I think I remember hearing something about a quad draw feature.

I also find interesting that you feel that it’s like and old software with a new skin, because that’s how I feel about 3DS Max, and to much lesser extent, Maya.

Retopology is bit annoying, having to setup the Shrinkwrap modifier, as well as turning on surface snapping. I think it’s easierto retopolgise in Blender compared to 3DS Max, but I think Maya is more ideal for this.

I think all of your points make for a very good critique. I’m personally used to most of them to the point where it doesn’t bother me either way, but I think it would be wise for the Blender Foundation to take these suggestions on board.
I haven’t used the Industry Compatible keybinding preset since I already know the legacy hotkeys, but if the Blender Foundation want to keep both parties happy, they should continue with the two styles of keybinding presets. The one we are used to, and all the changes you suggested under the Industry Compatible preset (pertaining to controls).