jessikasayuki
Artist
OP

Had my first crack at 3D hair ! I struggle with 2D hair so it was a bit daunting learning how to do it so close to submission time. But I had some tips from a classmate who has been working with stylised hair a lot recently. Hair was referenced from Ariel, The Little Mermaid and Spirit, from Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron.

He’s not as detailed with accessories as I was hoping to try, but I’m still really happy with what I have so far. My original sculpt was scrapped, and I had to start fresh, sculpting in pose which was a real strain on my understanding of the horse anatomy and being sure that everything looks right from all angles. One of the biggest issues I had with posing was the tail, making sure it flowed nicely from the body and deciding where the “horse” should stop and where the “fish” would start. Keeping his spine flowing evenly in a way that anatomically made sense, being sure to not over curl the tail.

This challenge made me realise I really need to know exactly what I want during concepting, and make sure to further my concept on paper rather than in my head. Once my sculpt came to light, everything fell apart and nothing was really working and I began to lose my direction. Thankfully I had a lot of great feedback and advice to help me get here.

This snap is after zremeshing, bringing into Maya and softening the edges to keep him nice and smooth with his lower poly count. Now time to give him some life in 3D Coat !

pic_06