CategoriesChallengesFlippedNormalsAugust – PiratesFlippedNormals Art Challenge – Pirates – Did Someone Say Space Pirates?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by issawilson 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• issawilson
    Artist

FinalRender1

SEE FULL FINAL SUBMISSION BELOW!

So excited for this challenge! I’ll be running with the space pirates theme… My biggest learning curve will be rendering in a new software… unity or marmoset… not sure which to use yet!

I’m gonna focus on hard surface modeling and making a space mech based off of Takayama Toshiaki’s artwork. You can see his stuff on deviant art… it’s pretty incredible. I’m gonna try to keep the polycount low as if for a game asset.

MechWIP03b

Some thoughts so far: I’m probably going to give it some sort of solar sail (lol) to help it read more like a pirate ship and go with some kind of skull/crossbones-black-and-white color scheme.

PS Thanks so much Henning and Morten for this awesome opportunity!

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

An update! It’s slowly but surely coming along… Will start cutting UVs by the end of this week or beginning of next week.

MechWIP05b

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

Arms are looking a bit long? What do you all think? I’m definitely open to suggestions! Overall I’m pretty happy where it’s going and think the pirate-solar-sail thingy will help with the silhouette.

MechWIP06

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

MechWIP11

UVs and posing done! Time for the paint!

4MechWIP13

Didn’t stick with the solar sail thing… but it now has a hook!

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

I started painting it…

MechWIP14

MechWIP18

MechWIP19

MechWIP20

…but realized that the challenge ends in September instead of end of August (which I originally thought) so I painted some and got it all ready for rendering in marmoset (which is surprisingly painless to use) and started messing with shader settings then realized I had like a whole week! So the last couple of days I’ve  revisited the model to add a few more pieces and make some of the things I didn’t like as much look better.

MechWIP25

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

Different paint scheme… more similar to my concept. Will add a new skull/crossbones decal onto the front again!MechWIP34

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

Render1 Render1WireRender2 Render3Render4

First few renders in Marmoset… I think I need to break up the roughness and also make the electric hook a little more blurry. Not the greatest texturing artist yet. Pretty happy with it otherwise! This whole month I’ve been wondering if my pirate mech is pirate enough (fingers crossed). Will be publishing soon on artstation with my final renders and this can be my hard surface piece for the immediate future! Everyone’s pieces are looking great and I’m excited to see more final pieces coming in!

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

FinalRender1

“They Say a Storm

is a Brewin’ up High

Amongst the Ships

When an ol’ Star Will Die

Their Eyes Are Wanderin’

Towards the Path Ahead

But if Your Eyes Aren’t on Your Cargo

You’ll Soon Be Dead!”

– Old Space Shanty

FinalRender2FinalRender3FinalRender4FinalRender5FinalRender6

Here’s my final submission! Concept and most reference by Takayama Toshiaki. HRDI from HDRI-Hub. Space shanty by yours truly. Thanks all! Hope you had fun time with the challenge!

EDIT: Post is now also on my Artstation!

nucleus
    Artist

Nice work! Liked post-render

good luck 😉

issawilson
    Artist
    OP

Thank you! Your piece was great too! Good luck on your second pirate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘August – Pirates’ is closed to new topics and replies.