CategoriesChallengesFlippedNormalsAugust – PiratesFlippedNormals Art Challenge – Pirates – Pirate book (and possibly other props)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• BrynethPaltrow
    Artist

Current Progress Update

updated colour palette. Added an idea for the title and details on the compass.

basediffuse_pirate_book_04

Feedback is absolutely welcome if anyone would like to comment on the progress so far or has any suggestions for how it might be improved. Please let me know!

Hello!

For this art challenge I intend to make a pirate book. I’m going with a working title of either ‘Forgotten Shores’ or ‘Lost Shores’ for the book. The idea behind this was to give the book a sense of pending adventure, that what the book holds might be secrets to treasures in lands unknown!

Time depending I also hope to make some flavour assets to create alongside the book to make it into a little scene, possibly some doubloons, a candle and a dagger. I’ll be working on the book until completion first so that it can work as a stand alone piece if I run out of time.

Edit: For anyone interested. I’m a big fan of pirates! Check out the link below, it’s some of my previous work on sketchfab, a pirate grave!

https://skfb.ly/6MR8Y

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

pirate_book_ref

Super quick mood board to show what I’m thinking of creating. I love these chunky sort of Blizzard style books with a bold colour palette and a centrepiece (focal point on the centre front). For my book I’m going to have a compass on the front. I really like the keys dangling from the book in the image above so I’m thinking of having a skull and an anchor charm dangling from my book. I’d also like to include some studs, buckles, ribbons (book marks) and some pages hanging out the sides.

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

I’ll work on a base mesh for the sculpt tonight and hopefully have some progress to post up tomorrow.

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

Does anyone know how I tag this thread with an image like all the other entries? Apologies, I just joined an hour ago to do this challenge, I’m totally new to this and forums in general. I’d love it if people see a thumbnail of my progress as I make this.

Edit: Sorted now. For those who might want to know. I just update my first post with an edit at the top of the post with a screen shot of the current progress of my asset 🙂

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

base_pirate_book_01base_pirate_book_02base_pirate_book_03base_pirate_book_04

Base mesh is complete. Now on to sculpting!

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

sculpt_pirate_book_02sculpt_pirate_book_01sculpt_pirate_book_03

Sculpts are complete! Now on to retopo and uv’ing (the boring part)!

Morten Jaeger
    Wizard @ FlippedNormals

Nice! What I imagine a Blizzard pirate book would look like 😀

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

bake_pirate_book_01bake_pirate_book_04bake_pirate_book_02bake_pirate_book_03

Retopo, unwrap and bake complete. Now onto the most enjoyable part. Texturing!

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

basediffuse_pirate_book_01

Super quick base colour and material pass. I’m probably going to play around with the palette a fair bit.

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

basediffuse_pirate_book_02

basediffuse_pirate_book_03

Progress on texturing. Updated colour palette, some small details like an idea for the title and compass details in. Still plenty more texturing to be done!

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

basediffuse_pirate_book_04basediffuse_pirate_book_05basediffuse_pirate_book_06

Texture updated. Still in progress. I’ll be working on the pages soon.

Morten Jaeger
    Wizard @ FlippedNormals

Looking really good so far!

I would throw in some more color variation, especially when you look at your references. I think the metal could use a bit more work there. But on the right track, can’t wait to see this finished 😀

BrynethPaltrow
    Artist
    OP

Thanks for the feeback Mortem. I totally agree! I’ll be working on a another pass of the texture this weekend, hopefully.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘August – Pirates’ is closed to new topics and replies.