CategoriesChallengesFlippedNormalsAugust – PiratesFN Challenge- Pirates Varrick Enters the Fray

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by grimmrock 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• grimmrock
    Artist

Not sure what I am going to do, but I do need direction now that my latest project is on the back burner while the rigger whiles away at it. the plan is certainly to have a game resolution character out by the deadline. thinking something Sinbad/pirates of the Caribbean inspired, targeting specifically Blackbeard as a point of reference.

Due to unforeseen mesh explosions I was not able to get  a clean render for presentation, so I sadly must posit this edition as my final submission for the contest. Judge me for my lack of foreknowledge and know that I feel its burn too. on the upside, I have a nice mesh to build on for my portfolio and will start retop pretty soon. Thanks very much FN for putting up the contest, it was nice to have a directed experience and I feel I gained a lot of general knowledge and really got some time to work on both realistic characters and transitioning from marvelous designer to zbrush. Best of luck to all.

WIP1-09-05-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

First WIP of the Contest.

Starting and modifying the nick Human male base mesh [I did not need a penis because pants exist, and he’s wearing them]  I find its nice to have a readily apologized base and makes my life much easier as I end the project and transition to game meshing.  I began fleshing out my gross anatomy and facial features for the initial sense [of him], with a medical background I am more comfortable working  on a muscular level. More work to be done today, but its starting to get a human feel to it. Hands need a lot of love at the moment, but I wanted to get a better feel for his overall structure. He is noticeably muscular at this time, but I intend to tone that down and give him a significant midriff, I like the idea of the old pirates like Gibbs [Pirates of the Caribbean] wandering around telling tavern tales.  WIP1-08-07-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

getting a little more variation, aging his body and giving him a little more weight. the hands are murdering my soul, but that is hands for you. once I get a more solid feel for this stage Ill take him into marvelous and start doing some clothing passes, get a feel for it. Pay no attention to the change in mat. I found the basic material was causing me grief when it came to readabilityWIP1-08-08-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

The Journey continues. I find the key to well simulated pants, is a good collider, but I hate making shoes. so I made them in Marvelous, because sculpting the compression folds of the  boots would have been a god-danged nightmare for a miserable sculptor such as myself, so I grabbed a couple reference images from the Disney pirates movies, grabbed an apache boot pattern, did some modifications, and cobbled it the old fashioned way, with marvelous designer. took me maybe an hour or two to get the pattern just right and another few to get the retop done in Maya so I could send out to Zbrush. and another hour to do some refining. boots are now at a solid 80% completion which is more than enough to start making the rest of our bois costume.WIP1-08-10-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

alright, just in case people thought I had mysteriously died in the last 3 days since my last submission, I did put together a marvelous file for both the pants and sash, but due to an untimely crash, I lost the marv file for the pants, but hey, I got one for the sash so I have that going for me, which is nice.

the pants are certainly a pain in the ass, but I think they read pretty nicely, got a few more things to get in before I can really start tweaking or deciding on the overall aesthetic, but we’re down to a vest, coat, and hat.  Billow-y is certainly a theme that keeps coming up as I build on this guy. The minor color pass is mostly to help me establish what parts are which, but they also give me a nice sense of value variation.  WIP1-08-13-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

Sorry for the Hiatus, I broke my foot and that took me out for a little bit.

returning to the pirate I decided that even with the jacket I didn’t feel there was much going on with him, felt a little too NPC-y to me, and so I’ve started to try and spice it up, get some high seas fantasy going. one thing I’ve always liked about fantasy armor is the fur mantles and ruffs, and so I wanted to incorporate that design with a nautical bent, namely a shark jaw (teeth pending) and a whale bone bracer, just for fun. ropes and whatnot for attachment issues (why doesn’t my mother love me) and I’m starting to ideate on charms and trinkets. got some rings, gonna have some other trinkets once I finish researching what craziness they thought was going to save them. his boat hook and Axe are in blockout phase, mostly I just need to make them in maya and move them over because screw doing that with Z modeler.

WIP1-08-19-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

so, moving to the tail end of the project here, I’ve finally gotten proper rings in, and some solid form shift in the hands and knuckles, Ive detailed out his face, cleaned up his jacket with more surface deformation, and thrown in a tattoo. I need to get in and touch up that necklace so he has a proper charm and not just a dish. Ive tossed the hat, Ive seen a lot of them here and its not adding nor taking away too much of his character, and its not a difficult addition to move back in if I deem him lacking. Finally got the shark teeth in and placed, same with his weapons.

At this point I feel like its important to get some facial aberrations in the symmetry and then Ill be making a second pass on the coat, getting some semblance of mustache back in there and some placeholder eyebrows.

WIP1-08-29-2019

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

moving to a more value studied level render, added the hat back in due to feedback, made it in marvelous because of course I did. few more details to add in, particularly the stitching for the tricorn, home stretch for this leg, Ill be doing my best of a half decent pose of the guy for my final turn in. here is hoping it doesnt go to crap on me. the goal had been a game res character and that will be the end all be all goal, but its not realistic of me to expect that in the few days remaining, and quality tends to go out the window when the timescale gets crunched that hard. My contest submission will be a  clay render I think, low as I can get it and baked, but certainly not game res. next few days will tell.

latest render and value study below. WIP1-09-05-2019

issawilson
    Artist

Nice work! Can’t wait to see the final piece. If it’s not textured and all, will you do that after the challenge to get this guy on your portfolio?

grimmrock
    Artist
    OP

thats 100% the plan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘August – Pirates’ is closed to new topics and replies.