CategoriesChallengesFlippedNormalsAugust – Piratesunread FlippedNormals Art Challenge – Pirates – Pirate Boy

This topic contains 24 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Joshua Moy 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Joshua Moy
    Artist

This is my final submission for the Pirate Challenge. I present my concept piece for my Boy Pirate. This was a really fun project, and something I hadn’t had thought to sculpt without the brief. So for me I found it fun, challenging and different to work I’ve done before. Also the first time using Renderman as well as trying out Xgen. I’ll probably upload some more stills of my character, but this is my official submission. Hope you all like it.

Modeled| Zbrush and Maya

Retopo| Maya

Texturing| Substance Painter

Rendering| Renderman

Post| Photoshop

Pboy_final_01

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For the challenge, I’m going for a young boy who was born and raised a pirate. He mostly stays on deck doing jobs ordered by the Captain. He’s very stubborn and rough, and always seems to think he is older than what he is. Always up to mischief, he is always annoying or pranking the other crew.  I have done a rough block out of the characters figure to sort out his general height and give the appearance of age through his proportions.

ZBrush Document

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

More progress, really keeping it sloppy for now, just trying to get the feel just right. Trying to have a Peter Pan feel to it. pirateBoy_progress_02

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_03

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_04

Some more blocking

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_05

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_06

Just finishing up hands and feet for my character. I’ve decided if I get the chance to, to create a scene of him fighting a thief octopus on board the pirate ship. So I’ll be trying to model another pirate character along with the octopus to add to the scene. The pirate boy will be fighting off the octopus.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_06

Just finishing up hands and feet for my character. I’ve decided if I get the chance to, to create a scene of him fighting a thief octopus on board the pirate ship. So I’ll be trying to model another pirate character along with the octopus to add to the scene. The pirate boy will be fighting off the octopus.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_07

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Just a quick retopo update, nothing too exciting just yet. Screenshot (2)

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_08Now that the retopo is done, I went over the details of the shirts and pants, and happy with that level. Still going over the waist sash and seeing how far I want to go with it. Considering taking back a little as well as fixing the hanging ends.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_09

Working on the pose.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

pirateBoy_progress_10

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

PBoy_LD_v01__cameraShape1_beauty.0001

Going into lookdev now. Once I’ve finished Ill model the octopus.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

PBoy_LD_v01__cameraShape1_beauty.0001

Going into lookdev now. Once I’ve finished Ill model the octopus.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

PBoy_LD_v01__cameraShape1_beauty.0003

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Barrels_LD

Quickly modeled some barrels for the background. Nothing too intense. Basic shaders and textures so far, but I will take them in substance with the character.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

PBoy_LD_v01__cameraShape1_beauty.00004First time using Renderman. So I have a lot to learn. Ill keep going at it till textures are right.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

PBoy_LD_v01__cameraShape1_beauty.00005

Working on the scene.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Pirate_scene_02__cameraShape1_beauty.0006More scene setup for my character.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Pirate_scene_02__cameraShape1_beauty.0007Blocking out shapes for the octopus.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Pirate_scene_02__cameraShape1_beauty.0008Haven’t had much time to do much lately. But I have finally done the hair.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Pirate_scene_03__cameraShape1_beauty.0010

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Pirate_scene_03__cameraShape1_beauty.0011Testing out colours and lighting. Going to add some bottles and rope, and finish of the eyes for the Kraken.

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

This is my final submission for the Pirate Challenge. I present my concept piece for my Boy Pirate. This was a really fun project, and something I hadn’t had thought to sculpt without the brief. So for me I found it fun, challenging and different to work I’ve done before. Also the first time using Renderman as well as trying out Xgen. I’ll probably upload some more stills of my character, but this is my official submission. Hope you all like it.

Modeled| Zbrush and Maya

Retopo| Maya

Texturing| Substance Painter

Rendering| Renderman

Post| Photoshop.

Pboy_final_01

Joshua Moy
    Artist
    OP

Pirate_scene_04__cameraShape3_beauty.0005

This is just a close up of my character, and not part of my final submission seen above.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘August – Pirates’ is closed to new topics and replies.